Anglesey - 28.08.14

Qualifying, it was dry but dark clouds where setting in, I got out and put in two banker laps which I knew would be good enough for the first two rows because it looked like it was going to rain. As the session progressed it began spitting which lost me my rhythm and I couldn’t improve my time meaning I had to settle for 7th. I was disappointed with this but just had to make sure I got a good start and had a good first lap. 

Race 1, I got an OK start holding 7th but then I pushed up to 6th and was in a good battle for the first half the race until I started to drop off from them a little bit. We used a harder compound tyre to the rest of the riders in front of me which meant they could get out the corners better as they had more grip because of the softer compound. Towards the end of the race I still felt physically strong and was still putting in good lap times, I was beginning to catch the rider in front and caught around 2 seconds on him but not enough to make an attack. I finished the race in 6th 
and 5th in the superstock class, this is good points but I wanted a podium so I knew that was my target for the next two races. 

Race 2, it was damp but drying fast and most people went out on full wets, which is what I used as well. The race was going well and I was having a good battle for 2nd, it started to dry out and the tyre's where beginning to destroy themselves, the ones infront just broke away by a few seconds as I wasn’t used to the tyre moving around so much meaning I couldn’t run the pace of the riders infront. So I brought it home in 5th and 4th in the superstocks which again is good points but not the podium which I was aiming for.

Race 3, I was determined to get a podium because I didn’t want my streak of getting on the podium for the past 4 rounds to end. It was really wet so it was a level playing field. I got a good start getting up to around 5th and finding a good rhythm and getting used to the grip levels. As the race progressed I picked each rider off one by one working my way up to 2nd with the leader around 3 seconds ahead. I tried to bridge the gap but I couldn’t quite do it, 3 laps from the end the red flags came out and it was declared a result meaning I finished 2nd and 1st in the superstocks, this was a great result as it was a good points haul and adds another win to my career. Also this was my first proper wet race so I was happy to finish with a great result. 

Overall, the weekend was good and it has made a big impact on my championship. I went into the round 22 points behind 3rd and came out 5 points behind. So I am now in the hunt for 3rd in the championship and looking to finish off the last two rounds strong.

We travelled all the way up to North Wales for round 7 of the Thundersport GB championship and I was really looking forward to it. Testing was nice and dry with good track temperature meaning we could get a good setting in the bike. We changed the set up from suspension to gearing which altered our wheelbase length which results in changed characteristics of the bike. At the end of the day I was happy with the bike and was ready for qualifying. 

© Kerry Rawson